The White House has asked Northside Hospital Cancer Institute, in partnership with the Cancer Support Community Atlanta, to host the inaugural Atlanta Cancer Moonshot Summit on Wednesday, June 29.
Northside Hospital will live stream the event on their Facebook channel, www.fb.com/northsidehosp from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The summit, taking place at the Hyatt Regency Perimeter, is by invitation only.
Vice President Joe Biden has called for a national summit to take place in Washington, D.C. on the same day.
These events are the first time all cancer stakeholders — patients, survivors, researchers, oncologists, advocates, elected officials and community leaders are convening under the auspices of the White House to double the rate of progress toward a cancer cure.
The Atlanta Cancer Moonshot Summit will include panel discussions with leading cancer experts, advocates and survivors. Vice President Biden will address the summit via video.
The panel will be moderated by Hala Moddelmog, president and CEO of the Metro Atlanta Chamber and past president and CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Among the panelists:
· Dr. Guilherme Cantuaria, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute; Principal Investigator, Georgia NCORP
· Christy Andrews, Executive Director, Cancer Support Community Atlanta
· Dr. Amelia Zelnak, Oncologist, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute
· Dr. Kent Holland, Medical Director of the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program at Northside Hospital
· Dr. Al Soltan, President of Georgia Cancer Specialists
· Local cancer patients and survivors